Scriptwriting and Genre LJMU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)

2 posters

Go down

Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994) Empty Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)

Post by Admin Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:13 am

Identify the genre(s) [if applicable], the main plot points and the clichés [if any].

Admin
Admin

https://ljmu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994) Empty Re: Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)

Post by LSSOMCKA Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:39 pm

PULP FICTION (1994) – QUENTIN TARANTINO.

The 1994 cult classic ‘Pulp Fiction’ directed by Quentin Tarantino will forever be a film that captivates and excites me. The chosen narration of this film is far from ordinary at the time it was created, due to the story being broken down into 4 tales of violence and redemption. Although, I believe what gives this film such an edge, is the director himself. Without a doubt Tarantino is considered one of the greatest directors of all time, proving his style so dominantly throughout all of his films. His striking use of violence is apparent in most, if not all of his films, for example; Kill Bill – Volume 1&2, Reservoir Dogs and of course, Pulp Fiction. His love of blood and gore within his films is repeatedly relevant, specifically within this film and proves high significance within each story.

The film begins with two hit men named ‘Jules Winnfield’ and ‘Vincent Vega’ who are after a stolen suitcase for mob boss ‘Marsellus Wallace’. Alongside employing him to retrieve the case, Marsellus has also asked Vincent to take his wife ‘Mia Wallace’ out whilst he is out of town, although she is specifically known to bring trouble. There is also another character named ‘Butch Collidge’ who is an aging prizefighter and is also paid by Marsellus, yet, it is to loose his next fight, therefore when Butch accidently kills his opponent during the match, he has put himself in great danger and has found himself on Marsellus’ hit list. As the story then unfolds, just as the film seems to be coming to a close, the unexpected happens and each of these stories all intertwine and link together. This comes as quite a shock, yet almost an of explanation as to what has been going on as before this happens, the film just seems to jump between a number of totally unrelated stories and characters, therefore this ending comes as a form of realization for the audience.

Within this film it is clear to identify the main genres, which are crime and drama. The elements of crime are proven through each character, as almost everybody we come across is involved in some sort of crime whether it is; drugs, murder or robbery. Although, I also believe the dramatic elements are shown through the characters as each person has a dilemma that they have to deal with and must over come, for example; Butch escaping Marsellus and Jules attempting to walk away from his criminal life.

Overall, Pulp Fiction will always remain as a favorite of mine, alongside many Tarantino films and will continue to captivate me with its interesting plot narration and use of cinematic effects.

LSSOMCKA

Student Number : 714744

Back to top Go down

Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994) Empty Re: Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)

Post by Admin Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:15 pm

Well written summary and film review. I would have liked, however, to see more on the structure and plot points in relation to that: what are the turning points for each characters? How does the hero journey relate to them? (This was in the PowerPoint for the lecture) what are the resolutions for each sub-plot, etc.

Good work, thanks

Admin
Admin

https://ljmu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down